Friday, December 7, 2012

Prepping

We had another 3-day weekend last 30 November until 02 December.   The first day of that long weekend was devoted to putting up our tree and decorating for Christmas. Our son celebrates his birthday in November, so we usually wait until the 1st weekend of December before we put up anything Christmassy at home - that way, November becomes his "special" month, and he gets to look forward to Christmas after the birthday thrill wears off.

My husband splurged on extra decors for our tree and additional Christmas lights - and even the cutest little CD player - so the three of us were in a very festive mood as we put up our favorite ornaments, with carols blasting in the background.

My favorite Christmas decors at home, sitting on our low shelves.
I always look forward to bringing out these things every year.

Our tree comes from a box.
It's a tropical Christmas, after all.

I couldn't pull it off this year, but next year I promise to prepare an advent candle and calendar for my son.   We had those when I was a child and really looked forward to that part of Christmas.   I found these advent calendars very inspiring (here, here and here), and this blog here goes over the true story of Christmas, as shared to your child through the advent calendar (beyond the toys and candy).

It may not be too late to find an advent wreath though.  I'll try this weekend.  We have only missed 1 Sunday so far, and I think it's a lovely tradition.   I find these country/modern advent wreaths/candles/holders inspiring - with moss in clay pots, bottles, ceramic dish, and a bunch of modern advent candles in this blog here.   I don't want to rush out and buy our wreath/candles/calendar just for the sake of having everything in place for Christmas.  Every single ornament we have right now was carefully selected, and dearly loved.   I am holding out for a wooden nativity set (I have fallen in love with this set, and am hoping to find something similar one day).  Last: this "sticks Christmas tree" is adorable.

*While browsing through Christmas decors online I stumbled across, and fell in love, with this design blog, Hege in France.  The blogger's home is lovely.  And I really love her Christmas labels (here) and her Behind My Door series (here).